Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tao of Pooh

            This book was very interesting to say the least of.  It was a clever way how Huff used Winnie the Pooh and friends to get his point across about Taoism and Confucianism.  I found it funny how the author viewed Confucius followers as people who are confused and believe that everything should be follow by particular set of rules or strict guidelines. This is fine to believe in certain situation, however not everything is going to happen according those rules.  Sometimes the unexpected happens and when it do, how are you going to adapt or overcome the situation that appeared before you.  Taoism understands those variables and said that you are to make the best of what you are given. Huff states, “Tao doesn’t force or interfere with things, but lets them work in their own way, to produce results naturally.”  I completely agree with that concept.
            The American culture is one that is continuously busy and one that always want to expand.  In society, we always think about work and never take the time to properly rest or appreciate what we accomplish.  Huff gives an example of the 1st Bisy Backsons being the Puritans.  He said the Puritans worked themselves to death and never established a rhythm of working and relaxation.  (pg. 100-101)  This is something that is still prevalent today, people will continue to work hard and achieve what there goals are no matter what has to be sacrificed. 
            Taoism could be a solution to the problem that American culture faces, which is that we are always busy.  By accepting some of the Taoist beliefs, it can lead American society to one that works hard for what they strive for as well as one that know how to take break and set time aside for themselves without constantly being bothered or concerned about work. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought the book was very interesting and cute as well. Like I mention in my blog, we do need to learn to relax and enjoy the things that we do have and already accomplish in life. I already be feeling so overworked and I haven’t even started my full time job. So before I do start I am going to make sure that I find time in my day and everyday to just relax and take a couple hours for myself. You should too, it can be very beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the both of you. We need to relax and take it easy. Americans are always passing out, having strokes, suffering from heart attacks,etc. because we literally try to work ourselves to death. If we implemented Taoist ways into our culture, I think that it would make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete